It’s been a long time since I’ve written on my blog! I’ve missed you all. My husband and I have spent the better part of the last two weeks at different conferences learning about calf health & the dairy industry. I hope to blog about some of the things that we learned and the places we got to go sometime later this week.
Today though, I want to share with you a recipe that I tried out last night. Some of you might have heard of the “Meatless Monday” campaign and some of you might not have heard of it. Basically, it’s a campaign that has a bit of history behind it, going back to World War II, but Meatless Monday’s or Meat-Free Monday’s have recently been brought back in full force and have been heavily supported by animal rights’ groups such as PETA and HSUS. The campaign encourages people to ditch eating meat on Monday’s to help reduce carbon footprint and to encourage healthier eating.
If you know me well, you can safely assume that I do not participate in Meatless Monday’s. Instead, I’ve joined some people in the agriculture world by participating in “Meaty Monday’s” or “Hunk of Meat Monday’s.” Animal agriculture is more sustainable today than it has ever been and it’s a healthy source of many important nutrients that our bodies need such as iron, zinc and protein. So why not eat meat on Monday’s?!
I do eat meat on Mondays – and everyday, really. Soooo…last night in honor of Meaty Monday’s I made a recipe that I found on Pinterest via Ezra Pound Cake (you should know by now that most of my recipes are found on Pinterest!) It was really easy to make too, which is always a bonus.
Steak, Red Potato & Mushroom Kebabs
- 4 red potatoes
- 2 twelve ounce New York steaks
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 twelve-inch skewers (if using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak in warm water for about 30 minutes)
- Place the potatoes in 1-quart saucepan, and cover with water. Bring water to boil, boil potatoes on low boil for about 10 minutes. Cook potatoes until they are tender. Drain, and let potatoes cool.
- Cut mushrooms into halves or fourths – depending on if you want big bites of mushroom or small bites of mushroom 😉
- Cut the steak into cubes. Season them with salt and pepper to taste. Place meat and mushrooms in a bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary and garlic. Stir well to coat meat and mushrooms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the bowl from refrigerator. Skewer meat, mushrooms and potatoes in whatever order you want them to be in! Repeat with remaining skewers. Keep remaining marinade for basting while grilling.
- Grill the kebabs, basting them while they cook. Turn and cook every 3 minutes. Cook for a total of about 12-15 minutes. Remove from grill. Season the kebabs with sea salt and serve immediately.
I served the kebabs with a side salad, and it was the perfect amount of food! Enjoy!