- The United States and Brazil are the top beef producing countries in the world.
- In the US, Texas has the most beef cows.
- The average cow has more than 40,000 jaw movements per day.
- The salivary glands of cattle, located beneath the tongue, produce 15-20 gallons of saliva per day.
- Hamburger meat from 1 steer would equal 720 quarter-pound hamburgers, enough for a family of 4 to enjoy hamburgers each day for nearly 6 months.
- More than 100 medicines, including insulin and estrogen, come from cattle.
- One cowhide can produce enough leather to make 20 footballs or 18 soccer balls or 18 volleyballs or 12 basketballs.
- A ‘black baldy’ most times is a cross between an Angus and a Hereford.
- Cattle consume less than 2/10ths of 1% of all water used in the United States.
- Beef is the number one source of zinc in the human diet in the United States.
And because beef is the number one source of zinc, I think I’ll have some beef for dinner tonight! Stay tuned…I’ll post the recipe from tonight’s dinner for you all tomorrow. I don’t want anyone being left out of this beefy goodness 😉
If you’d like more fun beef-y facts, I found all of mine at Cattle Pages – feel free to check it out.